Let this be a wake up call to National that they need to dumb down the message so that key media commentators get it. If they don't get it how will the public.
Really simple messages are what is needed. Here are a few examples:
- we have squandered the good times;
- there is huge waste in government expenditure;
- Government is a dead weight on the economy;
- big Government (43% of GDP) is too big, we can't grow it further;
- growing our way out of this mess isn't possible without supporting the productive sector:
- tax cuts support economic growth;
- Labour's productivity growth performance has been abysmal;
- Labour was too slow to invest in key infrastructure;
- the infrastructure investment policy of the last National Government was even worse;
- National has learnt from its mistake;
- Poor infrastructure = poor productivity growth;
- the emissions trading scheme is now unaffordable;
- the emissions trading scheme is a dangerous experiment;
- the emissions trading scheme will discourage productive investment.
If we were John Key's speech writer we would be filling his speeches with simple but powerful messages such as this.